22.6.09

DMC Meets With President Obama; Talks Fatherhood

By Chris Richburg

He may be considered rap royalty among music fans, but DMC is humbled in knowing how much of a role his family has played in making him who he is today.

Particularly his adopted father, Byford McDaniels, the man who instilled characteristics such as dedication, success and honesty in the Run-DMC rapper, while raising him as a kid.

“First of all, he worked everyday to send me to school. He worked everyday to pay to send me to every school that I was in to. And I wasn’t even his. But I was his,” DMC told AllHipHop.com. “He would take us on vacation, drive us to Canada. He would educate me. He would inform me. He would discipline me. He would take me to the park. He put me on the football team. He bought me my mixer and turntables.”

Byford McDaniels passed away one year after the death of Run-DMC member Jam Master Jay. According to DMC, the patriarch’s “kindness, understanding, wisdom and respectfulness” stood out as well as his attitude of diligence, hard work, devotion, honesty and faithfulness.

“I learned what you really need to do to be a man. You gotta be intelligent. You have to be committed. He was a really honest dude,” the rap veteran added while noting the “extraordinary things” Byford did throughout his life and career.

“I remember when I was on the road, he would come and get my wife everyday to take her for her check up when she was pregnant with my son,” DMC reflected. “Like, just really dope stuff. He was Byford McDaniels, who I rapped about, was an incredible father. That’s why he was immortalized on Raising Hell. I got a lot of values from him.”

You are InTheMixWIthTre’

No comments:

Post a Comment